Saturday, November 3, 2007

My Soul's a Hankerin' (Matthew 21:9)


Yea, Verily, please hold the mustard. . .

I know when my stomach is hungry, I'm hankerin' for a big ol' cheeseburger and fries. As a metaphor for spiritual needs, though, it's not uncommon for religious literature to refer to a "hunger" for salvation to bring someone to a personal relationship with Jesus. Sometimes, the thought of attending a large church is off-putting and intimidating. What's needed, then, is an easier, more accessible way to recieve the word of the Lord.

Like a Drive Thru.

Certainly, the throngs gathered to greet Jesus' arrival in Jerusalem were starving for salvation as the Lord entered the temples and drove out the theves and money-changers; they probably would have lined up in the Drive-Thru lane of the Texas Burger and ordered the Blessed Is He Who Comes in the Name of the Lord combo meal had one been available then.

But Texans sometimes draw their inspiration for faith in the most curious places, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the sign outside drive-thru in Buffalo, Texas. Curiosity almost made me stop, but I was in a hurry to get to Fort Worth, alas, so I'll never really know what was included for $3.99. If this was an offering for communion, I'd imagine the Body of Christ was in the bag, and probably a little Big Red or Dr Pepper to drink (this is Central Texas, after all, where wine sales are likely prohibited), standing in symbolically for the blood spilled by the Lord. (I don't know if the Super Size option is available, however, I'd suspect it isn't, since Greed and Gluttony and Sloth are three of the seven original sins, applicable, at least, to Catholics).

I hoped upon hope that it wasn't some pimply-faced minimum-wage teenager in a red Texas Burger shirt serving up the salvation. But something tells me it was.


Ya Gotta Check This Out. . .
A tip of the hat to Chris Atkins, who graciously suggested I click here and relive the horrors of my teenage years, thanks to a great blog look at a Penney's catalog from 1975. I can relate. Should I mention my polyester leisure suit I wore to my Junior High School graduation? Naaa. I'll let the photos set the scene. It's a riot.

No comments: